The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) was founded on the 8th of August 1967 by Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines and Malaysia. Membership has since
expanded to include Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam. Come next year in 2017, the formation of Asean shall mark its 50th year and with it the tourism industry is rolling out the exciting ASEAN@50: Golden Celebration.
National tourism organisations in the ASEAN countries will jointly celebrate the momentous ASEAN@50 campaign to promote the region as a single and united tourism destination.
The exciting campaign shall see the best 50 festivals and 50 unforgettable travel experiences put together as the main itinerary for 2017.
Among others, it will include promotion and offers of destinations, culinary, events, engagements with local communities and leverage on selected UNESCO World Heritage sites
to attract 121 million international visitors arrivals by the end of 2017. The typically warm hospitality in cultural, heritage and nature of ASEAN will be given added emphasis so that visitors, especially from China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, UK, Germany, Russia, UAE, USA and Canada will find the region appealing not only during the 50th year
but remain as their top choice travel destination in the years to come.
“In the past, each operator has been (marketing these packages) on his own, and now he will get support from ASEAN. It will not be done haphazardly, it will be done properly
with the support of ASEAN,” said YB Dato’ Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz, Minister of Tourism and Culture of Malaysia, at ITB Berlin on the 10th of March this year where the Visit ASEAN@50:Golden Celebration was first showcased by ASEAN tourism ministers and leaders. He also believes the ASEAN@50 will “motivate” member countries to ease visa requirements for the visitors.
With the encouraging growth of 5% last year in international tourist arrivals as measured by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), estimated to be above the average growth of
worldwide international tourist arrivals at 4%, ASEAN@50 looks promising.
Key Activities in 2017
- Official launch at ASEAN Tourism Forum in January 2017 in Singapore.
- Media familiarisation trips showcasing ASEAN connectivity and multi-country travel routes.
- Special tour packages with offers, special airfare, shopping discounts for travels in 2017.
- Campaign promotion in international travel trade shows in key source markets such as ITB Berlin, SATTE India, Korea World Travel Show, China International • Travel Mart and events in ASEAN countries.
- Cooperative marketing programs with travel, media and airline partners.
- Print and online advertising as well as TV and YouTube.
- Social media campaigns to enhance consumer engagement.
- Public relations, trade marketing, international and sector marketing activities throughout 2017.
- Promotional programme through ASEAN NTOs in Trade, Consumer as well as MICE throughout 2017.